Will you be my Valentine?
Tell your sweet heart you love them with a beautiful wool heart!! It is so simple, even children can enjoy it!
- Gather a small zip lock bag, wool roving, shiny glitz, and locks of mohair.
- Pull tufts of wool from the roving and lay them out on top of the zip lock baggie. You will be creating a batt with the wool. Now, continue to pull thin tufts of wool off of the roving and make a second layer on top of your first one. Lay the wool in the opposite direction. Be sure that as you layer the thin pieces of wool roving that there are no holes. You want an even layer of wool. Now lay your tufts of mohair and glitz on top of the batt.
- Carefully slide your batt into the zip lock bag. Add several drops of liquid dish soap and carefully sprinkle about 4 tablespoons of warm water into the bag. Zip it shut.
Slide the batt into the baggie.
- Gently begin patting the baggie. Be careful not to ball up the wool inside the bag. You want all the wool to be wet and soapy. Add more water and more soap if you need to. Once all the wool is wet you may begin to gently rub the baggie. Continue rubbing for about 5 minutes. Children love to sing a song while they work.
|Gather your supplies|
|Rub the baggie gently.|
5. Now begin rubbing vigorously. Rub the baggie for about 5 to 10 minutes longer. Open it up to see if the wool has turned to felt yet. If you can pinch and pull fibers up from the batt then you need to work it a little bit more.
|Rubbing more vigorously|
6. Now take the piece of felt out of the baggie and rinse it under warm water and then rinse under cold water.
|Rinsing your felt.|
|Your wool Valentine!!|
|Let your wool felt dry.|